People with a leading left hand have always been considered special. Many cultures and nations have believed that lefties are subject to some secret or even exceptional forces. But can you answer the question “When is International Lefthanders Day in 2020?” immediately or do you need time for thinking? As a rule, contemporary men and women are not able to do this even if you give them much time for recollect.
That is the main reason why we have decided to discover this matter in details.
Nowadays it has been known well that the tendency to use predominantly one or the other hand is determined genetically, but scientists have still not been able to find out exactly how this happens.
And, of course, if we are going to get the proper answer, what day National Lefthanders Day in 2020 is, we have to find out as much as possible information about the historical background of this event.
Since 1992 on August 13 the world has celebrated this amazing special occasion. Initially this holiday was created in order to draw public attention to the contemporary problem of all modern lefties who live mostly in peace with more common “righties”.
It has been already counted that on the planet there are only 10% of people, for whom their left hand is considered to be the main one. By the way, have you ever heard that 1% of men and women can be equally good and fluent in using their both hands?
All in all you can meet more “left-handed” inhabitants in the countries of Eastern Europe, the parts of Southeast and South Asia and distant continent Australia.
However, there are some other very surprising discoveries. For example, can you believe that 40% of patients with schizophrenia are left-handed? And, unfortunately, lefties usually live approximately 9-10 years less than the righties.
Every year, about 2500 lefties die as a result of accidents involving the use of items intended just for right-handed.
What does International Lefthanders Day mean? At different times left-handedness was considered to be a bad habit or even as a sign of the devil. This feature has been also taken as a mark of a neurosis or rebellious nature, as well as a sign of creative and musical abilities. All in all there is a great amount of various beliefs.
In many contemporary languages the well-known word “left” often has a negative connotation and is considered to be synonymous with the words “awkward”, “false”, “unfair”, “insincere”, “evoking” or even “suspicious”.
In English the compound adjective “left-handed” can be used as a synonym to “clumsy”, “very ambiguous” and “rather doubtful”. From time to time the French people use their local “gauche”, which often means not only typical “left”, but also “dishonest”.
By the way, have you ever heard that the terms “left-hander” and “right-hander” can be applicable not only to people, but also to animals? For example, it is rather interesting to find out that among ordinary cats, the majority use mostly their right leg or paw for the main activities, and the same thing is about mice. However, the polar bears, on the contrary, are all left-handed with very seldom exceptions.
As a rule the answer to the question “What is the date of International lefthanders Day 2020?” is remembered only by these people. However, would you like to discover the abilities of your small son or daughter? Yes? – We will help you then.
In order to determine who your child is, you can organize a simple test. First of all, let’s define the main hand. – For this purpose, ask the child to connect the fingers in the so-called lock. Which finger is on top that hand will be a leading one.
After that the hands can be put in front in a Napoleon pose. The upper one will show the leading. Now let’s try to determine the more important ear. Ask the child to listen to the ticking of the wristwatch. What kind of ear he/she will use, it will be the dominant one.
In order to determine the more active eye, you need to make a round small hole in the paper and ask the child to look into it. What eye will look into this hole that will be the main one.
At the end, you can check the child’s leg. – Just offer him/her to put the foot on the leg. The leading leg will be always on top.
Bringing a left-handed child up, it is necessary to take into account the fact that if both brain hemispheres get a great load, the child may experience neurasthenia, he/she will be very tired, and headaches may occur.
In order to avoid this, it is necessary to try to reduce the burden on the left hemisphere, which is responsible for intellectual development and logic, instead develop more the right one, which is responsible for creativity. For example, instead of doing additional mathematics, be engaged with the child in drawing or dancing. Then the child’s brain will not experience excessive loads.
When is National Lefthanders Day in 2020, calendar will help you not to forget, but would you like to know how to keep August 13 properly?
At the very beginning we would like to mention that there are no any special rules and customs for its celebration, but in fact it is not a problem if you are going to organize something really interesting or even amazing for yourself as well as for your family members, friends or colleagues from work.
What about using your left hand all day long? Of course, it can be quite difficult but at the same time rather funny.
You can also watch some movies or read the stories devoted to the famous lefties. And don’t worry there is a great amount of this information everywhere.
National Lefthanders Day Facts
So you have already got the answer to the question “When is International Lefthanders Day 2020?”, but would you like to find out some interesting facts about these unusual people?
Here is out list:
- The most surprising moment is that the percentage of talented people among the lefties is really very high. The famous representatives are Albert Einstein, Alexander the Great, Barack Obama, Beethoven, Benjamin Fracklin, Bill Gates, Charles Darwin, Charlie Chaplin, Fidel Castro, George Michael, Goethe, Henry Ford, Isaac Newton, Jim Carrey, Julius Caesar, Kafka, Leonardo da Vinci, Lewis Carroll, Marilyn Monroe, Mark Twain, Michelangelo, Mozart, Nicola Tesla, Nietzsche, Pablo Picasso, Paganini, Paul McCartney, Scarlett Johansson and Sting.
- 40% of all gold medals in boxing have been won by left-handed people. Frankly speaking, they have the advantage of hitting the liver, but at the same time lose the opportunity of typical sportsmen, who are able to hit in the heart.
- In the modern world there is an unfair and wide-spread marketing campaign as to the men and women described in this article. For example, we can’t but mention that all sports stadiums are arranged on the same principle. – Athletes run through the stadium counter-clockwise, so that on the turn the active right leg can save the runner from falling.
- Turnstiles in the metro are suitable for right-handers, as well as a hole for the hand in the sewing machine.
- The modern industry has already produced some stationary specially for left-handers and the most popular items are scissors, sharpeners and rulers with a mirror scale. Unfortunately, with the other inconvenient things the left-handers have to cope themselves.