Day of mother-in-law and mother-in-law
What kind of holiday is this?
Every year on the fourth Sunday of October, International Mother-in-Law Day is celebrated, which has the original English name Mother-In-Law Day, and honors the woman who gave birth to the love of your life. In the USA, this holiday is a national holiday, but it does not have an official status. Such a celebration can be called unusual, but it has many supporters around the world. In 2021, Mother-in-law and Mother-in-law Day falls on October 24.
How did the idea to celebrate Mother-in-law and Mother-in-law Day come about?
Mother-In-Law Day dates back to 1934. Then, on March 5, the editor of one Texas newspaper, Jean Howe, noted in his edition that it would be fair to celebrate, in addition to Mother’s and Father’s Days, also Mother-in-Law’s Day, because she is a second mother. There is no official confirmation of this story, but today it is perceived as reliable.
Over time, not only the mother-in-law, but also the mother-in-law began to be congratulated, nowadays the holiday has come to the countries of Latin America and Europe. The first few years were celebrated in March, later the date was moved to the last Sunday of October. In Ukraine, the celebration of this day began very recently.
Day mothers-in-law and mothers-in-law in history
March 5In 1934, the first Mother’s Day celebration took place in Amarillo, Texas.
?In 1970, the American Society of Florists declared the last Sunday in October as National Mother-in-Law and Mother-in-Law Day.
Frequent Questions and answers about the Day mothers-in-law and mothers-in-law
This holiday falls on the last Sunday of October.
The celebration takes place in Ukraine in the same way as in the whole world, because it is international.
Give a card with sincere wishes and flowers.
Nowadays, little attention is paid to relatives, so Mother-In-Law Day is necessary to celebrate in the family circle.
How to celebrate the Day mothers-in-law and mothers-in-law?
There are no clear rules on how to celebrate this date, because the holiday is unofficial. Despite this, there is always an opportunity to choose your own greeting.
- Regardless of the closeness of the relationship with the mother-in-law/mother-in-law, congratulate her. Even a small gesture of attention will be remembered for a long time. Invite your “second mother” to go to your favorite coffee shop or for a walk, treating her to delicious coffee.
- Your mother-in-law will be very pleased if you ask her to teach you how to do what she is a professional at – cooking according to a special recipe, editing a resume, speaking in public, transplanting plants, etc.
- Remember that the most expensive gift is attention. Sometimes just a hug or a sincere compliment is enough. Spend time with mothers, preparing dinner together and listening to interesting stories from the past. View family photos or videos in your home circle. It is very easy to make a mother happy!
- As a gift, you can invite your mother-in-law or mother-in-law to a shopping center, where you will be able to spend time together and buy exactly what you need.
- An alternative to shopping is a bouquet of flowers, which will not leave the “second mother” indifferent and will give her a festive atmosphere.
Interesting gift ideas: indoor plants, homemade sweets, comfort and interior items. Going on vacation to a spa salon as an alternative to home gatherings.
Mother-in-law and mother-in-law Day postcards
👉 Section Postcards and greetings ➕ Postcards in Viber ➕ Postcards in Telegram
Why do we love this day?
Despite the rather strained relations between the son-in-law and mother-in-law/daughter-in-law and mother-in-law in many families, one must understand that the mother of a loved one is part of the family. This woman tried to give the best to her child and raised her for many years. Even now, when her baby has grown up, found a second half, maybe has her own children, the mother does not stop helping and caring. Having revealed her soul, she nurses her grandchildren and gives advice.
Every mother wants her children to be protected, regardless of age. Mother-in-law and mother-in-law in many cases love their son-in-law or daughter-in-law very much, respect them and protect family relationships.
Sometimes it takes years to build a relationship with your “second mom.” In other cases, the connection is established immediately: visit, do not forget to call, take care and pay attention. When children are healthy and happy in their relationships, mothers will be happy too, all they have to do is love their children and receive love in return.
Say hello to your loved one’s mom, even if your relationship is strained or you barely communicate. The holiday is a great opportunity for a sincere conversation, as a result of which, perhaps, love will melt the ice.
Mother-in-law and mother-in-law are a necessary component of a large family mechanism, the heart and brain of the family. They will always suggest a way out of any situation, share experience and wisdom. Mother-In-Law Day is needed to make peace in the family and to prevent quarrels.
When will we celebrate World Day mothers-in-law and mothers-in-law?