Americans are the funniest nation in the world and it is really so. They like to celebrate the most unusual days of the year. From one side, it looks very strange but from the other one it helps them to live happily in the world, do not pay attention to life difficulties and just enjoy their existing. It is interesting to find out when is Lost Sock Memorial Day in 2020. Let us see what is so funny about it and why the US people marked this holiday in their calendar.
The meaning of the holiday
What does Lost Sock Memorial Day mean for the Americans? We all know the truth that one sock of the pair always disappears somewhere. Once one is lost another becomes unnecessary because it is not easy to wear one sock. Does someone eat it? Or maybe there exists a cruel monster inside your house that devours your socks? Nevertheless, everyone is aware of the inevitable fact that one sock is always missing. It may appear crazy but Americans adore this holiday. It makes them laugh and they created even a Day of the commemoration of the missing socks.
I think it is important to signalize that this holiday has one more figurative sense. It refers to those people who are trying to find the forgotten, lost or unreal things. It tells us not to live the past but the present moments, be happy and smile all the time while taking delight in life. No matter how hard you want to conserve two socks together, one of them is always apart – such is our life, we do not control events. So, be calm and enjoy your life because you are not able to foresight the future.
LSMD makes you say good-bye to all missing things in your life and enjoy the things you possess at the moment. We are invited to dust our souls, memories, and dreams, and to become a new person.
People should remember what day Lost Sock Memorial Day is in 2020 and take it in consideration. We celebrate it on May 9 every year. During the holiday one has a real possibility to clean out the houses and sock drawers but not only it. Each year, the date of this holiday is the same so just tick off on your Web calendar and make a reminder note in your mobiles. This year you have only a few days left so get prepared!
Frankly speaking, the holiday presents a mystery because it is difficult to define its exact date and the origins. One can find the origins at Germans and Spanish because they also celebrate it.
The history of the day
The history turns us back in time and tells us about an unknown Og. He was a real person who liked knitted footwear a lot. One day while hunting, he lost one of his favorite socks and was so upset and depressed that refused to eat and drink. In a matter of fact, it was a mammoth who had eaten his sock. His mother quickly made him another one though he did not detect a replacement. Since then people commemorate a habit of wearing socks but nowadays they try not to find a missing item but to throw away the present one.
The Definition of the Holiday
This day presents one of the simplest ideas. It is real to manage a big poster or a greeting card for the relatives and family members inviting them to the Lost Sock Day celebrating. Write the definition of the holiday with capital letters on it and hang it on the front door of your house. Many people do. Do not miss the chance for this.
When is Lost Sock Memorial Day in 2020? Mark the day in the calendar — it is celebrated annually on May 9th and this year it falls on Tuesday. Take your chance and even if you are working this day take some plans for a night and enjoy this holiday celebration.
What are the Lost Sock Memorial Day facts and traditions?
Even if you are not American and have never visited the USA, you have an opportunity to begin to celebrate this day with your friends and parents. The holiday of socks have been celebrated in many countries and you have to start doing this in yours. There are many ways of socks reusing that are common for Americans and let us face them.
Imagine that today it is the Lost Sock Memorial Day. What can we organize and how to celebrate this weird holiday? Here are some propositions and you have to choose between them.
- First of all, people are very different. One is a teacher, another works as a nurse or a fireman and this list may continue. So human beings of various jobs spend this day according to their occupation. For example, teachers may create craft toys for children using a sock: a pencil case or something like that; use your imagination!
- One of your friends may have the birthday on this day like my husband’s father. This day, we decided to give him a birthday present made with … a sock! Is it strange? Sure it is but it is also very originally and from a kind heart. Our daughter made a nice craft flower and offered it to her Grandpa. He was touched and pleased. You have the right to decide what to do and whom to offer presents. I suppose there are always people by your side who need a little attention.
- Another option is proposed by this holiday. If you want to look good and have a nice haircut made a colorful hair-bin with a left sock. Express your creativity and impress the world around.
- I want to speak about one more way of celebrating this holiday. You can take a sock or pajamas party. Invite your close friends and share this idea with them. Gather together at one house and put on the left sock. It will be very funny to observe the missing ones and to exchange the socks, for example, with a friend of yours. Celebrate the diversity!
- Make a full party. Yes, yes, you are not mistaken. Do you believe that Americans visit the socks parties? But it is really true. If you want to participate, you should know what is the date of Lost Sock Memorial Day 2020. The host will ask you to wear your favorite weird socks, shorts or come without shoes. The US people also propose to have a Sock Gifting Day. At this holiday you have to bring some new pairs of socks and give them to anyone you want. Wrap it in a beautiful gift paper and go ahead – the best present in the world is in your hands. It will give joy and as for me, it is worth to do this because a pair of socks is never odd. Americans also play games in hide-and-seek but you have to hide a sock and your friend will find it. Stupid, is not it? Childish and remembering us that childhood never ends. You may appear the most severe boss or director in the world but playing such a game opens your inferior world. It brings you calm and happiness because everyone is a child inside his soul.
- We all live in a web-oriented space. The online life takes a major part of our everyday life. One more way to celebrate Lost Sock Memorial Day is to create an open group on Facebook or Twitter or to join the one existing yet. Their members could share some piece of information, download or upload photos taken during the party celebration. Here you may post how this event is commemorated among your family and friends. Do not hesitate and show to the whole Universe that you are a happy and funny person. The world is full of evil so bring the sunshine and some light to it.
So, when is Lost Sock Memorial Day 2020? It is a very strange and unusual holiday celebrated on May 9th and it tells us that life needs to be enjoyed. We often pay attention to some sad and sorrowful life events and we take profit off little nothing of life. Do not imitate them. Smile to the world and it gives you its smile back.
Throw away your impair sock and find the happiness, joy, and vivacity.