Day of the city of Khmelnytskyi
The last weekend of September is celebrated in Ukraine Day of the city of Khmelnytskyi. This large industrial and cultural center used to have the names of Ploskiry and Proskury. During its history, the city was under the rule of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Ottoman Empire. The city became the regional center in 1954.
Traditionally, before the start of the holiday, a prayer service is held in the city’s central square. With a joint prayer, people honor the residents who gave their lives for peace in eastern Ukraine. Anyone can join the prayer service, regardless of religious denomination.
A photo exhibition and photo session with the superheroes of Khmelville is one of the main attributes of the holiday. Local artists present their paintings, which can be bought at the presentation.
- The city got its name in honor of Bohdan Khmelnytskyi, who, surprisingly, had never been here.
- Kamianetska Street, the oldest street of Khmelnytskyi, is also the longest – 7 km.
- This city has the largest number of monuments to Bohdan Khmelnytskyi in Ukraine – four.
- The largest goods market in Europe is located here.
- Such popular contemporaries as the singer Oleksandr Ponomaryov, humorist Dyadya Zhora, and mystifier Anatoly Kashpirovskyi were born in the city.